Face serums: most of us have them, some of us apply them – but do we really know the benefits of them?
Forgoing those one-size-fits-all claims, face serums are your one-way ticket to a personalised skin care routine. But with a long list of formulas available, and with various end results, it’s getting harder to understand which one is right for your specific type or what you want to gain from them.
With that in mind, here at Cult Beauty we’ve done the hard work for you and uncovered everything you need to know about the best face serums and how to use them.
WHAT ARE SERUMS
Serums are topical products that deliver a high concentration of active ingredients to our complexion. Generally more potent than most of your products, face serums are renowned for tackling your targeted skin concerns faster than other formulas. But the best part? They’re extremely customisable – meaning you can mix them up according to your specific skin woes. Think of them like a personalised recipe just for you!
BENEFITS OF USING FACE SERUMS
Your skin is individual to you, which is why it’s key to find a serum that compliments your complexion type while confronting your specific concerns. Plus, they serve up a series of benefits for a happier and healthier looking dermis. Keep scrolling to uncover the top five benefits of face serums below…
They’re completely customisable: what sets your serums apart from the rest of your skin care line up? Their power to personalise. Whether you’re looking to raise moisture levels or minimise the appearance of visible pores, these lightweight liquids are adaptable to your routine and needs.
Soothe sensitive skin: combating your complexion’s reactive nature, serums penetrate deeper into your dermis to relieve redness, dryness and uneven skin tones. For comforting results, it’s best to look for formulas that include aloe vera, ceramides, niacinamide or chamomile.
Reduce the appearance of fine lines: face serums that feature vitamin C, vitamin E and astaxanthin aid in the prevention of oxidative damage from UV rays and pollution – consequently keeping fine lines at bay.
Retain moisture: formulated with hydrating ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, face serums have the ability to lock in your skin’s moisture while protecting its barrier for dew-drenching results.
Boost brightness: face serums work in various ways to enhance radiant results. While some directly target pigmentation and dull skin, others reduce the appearance of puffiness through effective exfoliation. The result? Luminosity and a more even skin tone.
HOW TO USE FACE SERUMS
When it comes to incorporating face serums into your daily routine, it’s all about how and when to apply them. For the best results, simply follow the tips and tricks below.
- Generally speaking, your face serums should be applied after cleansing and before you moisturise. For some this will be the second step in their regime, or for those who use toners or exfoliators the third or fourth.
- Use a pea-sized amount over your clean, dry complexion, then wait 30 to 60 seconds for the formula to absorb before layering on your remaining products (we’re talking face oils, day creams, SPF and more).
- Serums are designed to work with your other skin care products, not as a substitute. For optimum results, you’ll need to pair them with your daily cleansers, moisturisers, sunscreen and everything in between.
- As for the time of day which you should be applying serums, that’s down to the ingredients included within them – for example, if they feature retinol, you should be easing yourself into application by applying them a few days a week during your evening routine. Or if they include vitamin C, integrating it into your morning schedule will boost bountiful benefits such as shielding you from free radicals.
- Finally, don’t be afraid to layer them up! If you’re utilising more than one serum, always apply the most fluid first.