Shorter chops are soaring, and we couldn’t be more pleased. All it takes is a quick scroll through your social feeds to discover that the bob is back. And, while the style has reincarnated itself into many different façades (we’re talking lobs, wolf cuts and everything in between), there’s one look in particular currently on everyone’s mind. Cue: the butterfly bob.
With over half a million hits on TikTok (and counting), the easy breezy butterfly bob is low maintenance, slipping seamlessly into our never-ending ‘lazy-girl’ routine. And, if that isn’t enough to convert you, just look to the likes of Zendaya, Jenna Ortega and pretty much all your favourite influencers for the ultimate hair care inspiration.
So, without further ado let us introduce to your new coiffure…
WHAT IS THE BUTTERFLY BOB
Aptly named, the butterfly bob is defined by its feathered layers falling freely around the face – mimicking the silhouettes of (you guessed it) butterfly wings. Swishy and soft, this cut works well when lightly tousled. Boosting more volume than the ‘classic’ bob, it sits somewhere between the wolf and curve cut, thanks to its mixture of textures, rounded layers and just above-the-shoulder length.
WHO CAN WEAR A BUTTERFLY BOB
As one of the most adaptable short hairstyles, the butterfly bob is versatile and suits all. Why? Because you can tailor it to flatter your face shape and hair type. The trick is to get the front layers to fall so they frame your face, enhancing your features and bone structure. For those with fine hair we suggest adding stepped layers to enhance volume. Whereas, if you have thick tresses, you can remove some of your mane’s weight at the back to ensure a fluttery, floaty finish.
HOW TO STYLE THE BUTTERFLY BOB
The butterfly bob encourages you to embrace your natural locks, meaning there are no rules when it comes to deciding how to style it. While no two looks will be the same, the one thing they all have in common is that they’re undone and untamed. To achieve the full butterfly effect, follow the simple steps below to achieve the look best for you.
THE ROLLED BUTTERFLY BOB
- On clean, dry hair apply a leave-in conditioner to detangle and smoothen your strands.
- Now your lengths are primed and prepped, divide them into four sections and separate them using hair clips.
- Then, begin by styling the back section. Start by spraying heat protectant to the partitions before using your curlers. With the hair tool, grab a small amount of hair and use the curler to create loose curls. Repeat this step until the back is complete.
- For the front sections, comb out your locks, before spraying them with heat protectant.
- Once both sections are complete, run your straighteners through and finish with a slight bend at the tip. Repeat this step until all the front section is complete.
- Next, remove your clips and allow your hair to fall naturally in place. Using your brush, comb through your curls, so they loosen up and blend softly into your straighten segments.
- To complete your look, tame any flyways by pinning back the side of your hair to create a V-shape formation.